Jumia Computing Blast

Sunday, August 2, 2015

THROUGH MY EYES, THE NYSC YEAR

Not many people knew that NYSC year is not precisely as sweet as it is pictured. Though, it can actually be thoroughly enjoyed but it can as well be thoroughly tiring (no thanks to the bleak future that lies ahead). To start with, service year is categorised into four, nay Registration/Camp, Place of Primary Assignment (PPA), Community Project and passing out activities (those are the official categories you say, unofficial are Infact uncountable!).
Through my eyes were several unthinkable things but above all, NYSC program remains a lofty initiative that consolidate the effort on national integration.

It was on a cemented pavement that sola, confidence and itoro were sitting, waiting to be attended too by the principal. I would later join them and greeted thus: ‘’ Ajuwaya oooo’’. Itoro answered, confidence nodded, sola was indifferent. Later I got to know sola was seriously bitter about his place of posting to Bida, he had envisage relocation to Lagos or Ibadan where he can really live out 21st century live: beer fray, laying around the expansive city and pretty ass indulgence! Itoro on the other hand carried the UI spirit to the pavement as he sat with absolute calmness, confidence was such that you cannot give an outright label and no thanks to pimples that settled well on her face at the time. We do not know each other, we have never cross path, itoro from Akwa Ibom, myself and sola from Ibadan and confidence from Imo state. On the pavement, we would later be joined by Titi, later Kunle and Sarah. We were all accepted by the principal that day!
At the time, Alaba was the CLO, he was Batch C 2014, he is calm but when you meet him you suspect he might be cunning. David is handsomely built and well humane- lest I forget, he allowed me use his laptop to type all day. Mandela (Anike Nelson) is pathologically egocentric- he claims to have what he could not have gotten in the next 5years. But he is a nice person, in nelson I saw how ego and humility can be subservient- throughout the days we shared together, he hardly go angry. What of Lucky? You trust lucky at your own risk, he is characteristically dubious, his remembrance remind me of how un-wise it is for a man ‘’to think he knows the way but cannot drive the car’’ or ‘’for a man to think he knows the answer without prodding deep enough to know exactly the question’’. Oga Sule is a better person, quite diligent religiously and socially, however, he will do much better if he figure out what exactly he want for himself. I remember Amaka, a profound lady! She likes food yet hardworking: good for her, because the hand that work hard must really enjoy.
What of mamuzo, my sweetheart, for her completeness, I named her Prodigy Corper. Mamuzo is just too much but she seems to mind money too much. I still miss her!
If not for NYSC, I may not have met someone as loud, untiring and humble as sola- he seems to be one of a kind. Sola want to be seen as somebody who is hard but his subtle treatment of affairs testifies the otherwise. Mary’s case comes to mind, In one loathsome instance, he had just given Mary 4k and when he is to get appreciation, the lady ask him to go to hell if he must sing as he follows her. The surprise is that Sola swallowed everything and kept on following the lady with his lips sealed- lolzzz, that is softness. However, if there is one thing I must change about him that will be his culture of unconscious spending- he seems to spend without diligence. The other will be that he should gauge his talk: most time in the cause of over-talk, he end up saying what is kept with him as a secret. But, Sola remain my good nigga even as he is now officer of the federal republic.
No smoke without fire is a common saying, but why kunle don’t like to engage me remain knotty even as I write. We had attended same university though not as a regular friend, we lived together in same hostel in 100level and afterward we only see and exchange pleasantries most times at distance. Meanwhile, I had expected a deeper rapport as we again meet in NYSC but to the contrary, right from camp, I end up being the one taking it to him while he feels perhaps my kind is overbearing or too young for his old age. Notwithstanding that I leave a lady to him, kunle don’t seems to trust how benevolent I can be. What if not resentment?, when sola as the CLO was travelling, kunle was asking him who will he hand-over to even when Assistant CLO (myself) was around. It is Infact not an accident that on the CLO Election Day, he voted neither sola nor me, notwithstanding that we are roommates. Surprisingly, he told someone that when sola wasn’t around, I was acting like a champion, as if it’s all about me. I like to ask him what was it that I did or brought forward during that period that I didn’t ensure I carried him along personally despite that his countenance is always awkward. Or what did I do during sola’s absence that I personally took credit for? The same person was saying that I snatched muyiwa from him, he forgot that the same thing that brought him and muyiwa together did so for me and muyiwa too- thus, the decision of muyiwa to get closer to a person was solely based on interest. However, we should not forget that ‘’a person’s level of sacrifice and quality of mind is what attracts people to him/her’’. I remember when at sambisa, kunle had to change his laptop password from the one I know because I was using it to run my blog ones in a while. It was obvious to me since camp days that kunle harboured something personal against me, the cause of which I don’t know till now- maybe because he is older but who on earth cares about age. Facing the fact meanwhile, kunle is someone who wish to be pastor but he always get misguided by his desire to do what others around do.
That titi is a virtuous lady should attract less doubt, although, it is hard for one to certify a lady because they are innately crooked. By experience, it is a common thing for women to maintain double personality but to the level I know titi, I think I won’t be at a risk vouching her as a ‘’better-off’’ in a 21st century society. But what if she do away with her deep attitude of resentment, what will remain of her will be overly impressive. Personally, I have learnt to be unbothered by actions or strings of people around me when I got conviction in the saying that: ‘’you can only control your own life but life of others is absolutely theirs. No matter your feelings about people, you cannot hold their pace’’.
Titi’s session shouldn’t end like this, what of Ibrahim part of her story? Hmm, I and titi were good friends until my heart start to ask for his pro-NYSC first throb. Pro-NYSC first throb? That is nobody else but Lydia Joel! The first day I saw Lydia was inside the school. And magical you say, we were drawn to each other almost immediately. I gave her a payroll sheet to make copy of, to return my original. Unfortunately the next time we saw, at the lodge, was the day I notice I have grown a chord for her yet the same day I was talked out of dating her: It happened that myself, titi, sola and lucky were making jest of kunle- a lady had told sola that she can’t marry him because he is too soft for her liking. In the midst of it, Lydia entered with Umar (her aider) and the topic shifted to who is to date her. Earlier I had made it known that I like to date her but that night everyone said I should leave the lady for Kunle to see how smart he will prove. In what was not clear acceptance, I said: ‘’I can’t leave this girl ooo’’. That night I went straight to where she was standing with Umar (her aider), we chatted a little and exchanged numbers… Few days after the night was rural rugged at their fellowship (NCCF) where kunle attended too, by hindsight, there was where kunle toasted her. Few days after, she went to Taraba for the 2weeks leave which coincide with first term holiday, that made her spent more days at home, during which period our conversations went really upscale and deeper, such that each moment hardly pass without WhatsApp messages or phone calls- every of the conversations was characterised by laughter but I never toast her formally thinking kunle on one hand. On the other side, the issue of I should allow kunle to date her was not ending to the point that I fear my toasting the lady might be a betrayal of a solo agreement. At this point I was slightly confused. However when we regrouped in January, I couldn’t thoroughly express myself even when it was very obvious the lady wanted me, whenever am with her and kunle comes around, I withdraw almost immediately. This continued until enough room had been created for kunle to gain her.
I was willing to cope with Lydia and Kunle dating without raising eye brow but kunle wasn’t magnanimous to me in the relationship: He can’t stand me talking to her, He can’t stand the girl entering my room, he was so immature with the date that any person getting close to Lydia must cope with kunle snobs, perhaps he thought women (sex) mean much to me- he forgot that he is having Lydia because I allowed it.
Nonetheless, I owe titi a profound apology for I trade her off- she was so kind and motherly to me. The single story that went round stereotype me as the faulty person but even titi deep down knows that I never intended to rub pepper on her fresh wound- I was only trying not to cheat her but from time immemorial, things don’t always appear the same way to everybody and for this reason- I’m deeply sorry to her. Titi is a good lady, we were both victim of some sort!
I hold nothing against kunle and that is the reason why I kept greeting him even when he rebuff me. Whatever that might have transpired between me and Lydia at the tail end of the service year, I owe kunle no apologies because Lydia isn’t a kid. As for Lydia, you think Ibrahim sold you? Come and ask me and I will tell you how someone requested a guy not to be using condom but flesh!
Sincerely, none of my actions were intended to defame or damage Lydia because I remember how seriously my denial of intimacy between us almost cost me my head. However, if any of my actions have caused you heart break, I’m sorry.
Ifeoma is a good girl that knows what she want for herself- she might be misunderstood but to the level I know her, she is a type that engages her head before her body. I miss ifeoma for her talk and style and our crazy musical album, however, she needs to work on her mood- she is sort of attitudinal!
Bisi is very cheerful yet humble, her kind will make a good wife- but let her become a little bit more sacrificial. Same as madam mercy, really humble and fun to be with.
Itoro is characteristically calm. Olumide has a good reception. Nana-Aisha is a Hausa and meeting her solidifies the saying that Hausa’s are straightforward- she is also a good giver. Godswill is sort of complex but Kevwe is just simple meanwhile Malam Yusuf is overly simple! The days with D1 and Mazi was short but memorable- I remember how I and D1 cope with very little resource- how we gist and agree as if we are brothers- I remember how Humanity can create deep bond in short time.  
Katun umar sanda is simply responsible. At many times, he sacrificed for me. Notwithstanding that an average Nupe is stingy, katun is financially responsible.
In case you find a perfect person anywhere in the world, kindly inform me, I shall give you my life in return. Life itself is imperfect, how much more me and you? Just that when we offend ourselves we must learn to forgive and forget if live must go round…
During NYSC, I saw how humanity is universal. It is now much clearer that everywhere in the world, the goal of everyone is towards a better and good life. Although the means of pursuit might be wicked but the goal is ever constant.
During NYSC, I was alarmed by the degree to which women jealous themselves. Instead of standing together and conquer their age-long predators (men), women are always deeply resenting one another over who get close to who, who gets what and who gets the biggest influence. This behaviour only make women more vulnerable in a gathering involving men.
During NYSC, I saw how sense of duty varies across tribes. With my PPA as a microcosm, it seems the Nupe people do not value industry as most of their staffs does far less than required. In some cases, some will be around but never enter class to teach, some will come, sign and bow out. Some will come, sign and find a comfortable corridor to sit and gist till tired and afterward, kicks their motorcycle and roll out. The aching thing here is that, the system that is supposed to check them is bent on over-working the Corpers while the real indigenous people sinks the school.
During NYSC, I saw how interest jeopardise good judgement. That is when government college, Bida will not realise that corpers are over-worked even as their corpers takes on average of 7 classes yet work as form master/mistress while their regular teachers takes averagely 2 classes. They cannot realise because their interest contrast greatly with that of the corpers: the school interest is solely to maintain the absolute laziness of their staff.
During NYSC, I saw how Christian oriented society is most times greatly better than their Muslim counterpart. The experience of Doko village solidified this observation. Anti-Hiv club had gone for sensitisation in one small secondary school in this small village but surprisingly, the comportment of these student and their staff was symbolic: all the student were on white socks, neat and ironed uniform and good spoken English. While, at Government College, orderliness, neatness, comportment are non-existent- almost average of the student wears flip-flop to school, same as some teachers, socks does not exist in their dress sense. The student knew nothing, their spoken English is worse except for few. I strife to trace the reason for the huge difference on the basis of Town/Village, Christians/Muslims, Government College/Ordinary School, Boarding/Day. However, every basis should favour Government College, Bida; the only orientation that can account for the difference is that Government College, Bida is predominantly Muslims while the Doko village school is Christians predominated. This therefore means Muslim society must live up.

For the successful service year, I say THANK YOU THE SUBLIME GOD

No comments:

Post a Comment